Monday 18 May 2015

Welcome

When I first arrived in Korea I found information about where to play in Korea really hard to find. Hence the creation of this blog, pretty much.

Since then things have got a lot better. If you are new to Korea there are a bunch of resources you can check out.



The first one is the Wizards Locator located on Wizards own site (magic.wizards.com). When I first arrived this just returned a garbled mess of inaccurate results. These days it works and if you have location services turned on, it can be very helpful.

If you are in Seoul, Suwon or Daegu there are healthy Facebook groups to join. This might have been the case back in 2011 but I was not a huge Facebook user at the time. Unfortunately the Busan facebook group looks pretty small and possibly dead.



If you speak Korean then the go to site to visit is the Daum cafe site (http://cafe.daum.net/magin). That's where I got a lot of the information for this blog.

The official site is (http://www.mtg-kr.com/) which is cleaner but has much less information than the Daum Cafe in my experience.

On this blog I have tried to compile a list of shops in Korea that sell Magic the Gathering but most of them I haven't visited and was relying on online information only. 

I have also tried to compile a list of online retailers in Korea but again I haven't personally used most of them so can't vouch for their service.

My experience: 
Once you have found a place to play or shop I thought I would share my experience of what you can expect. Most of the Korean players are quite solid with a very tight technical routine. Before drawing their starting hand it is very common to fan out the 7 cards on the table so the opponent can see they only have 7.
When it comes to trading, Card Kingdom prices (www.cardkingdom.com) seems to be what everyone uses for standard legal values. If something is harder to find or out of stock then Starcity or TCG player may be used. If it's a legacy playable Korean foil then people just tend to guess, and it often goes to committee (bunch of guys standing in the shop sipping on soda suggest a value). 

Casual play doesn't seem to be very popular in my experience and it seems mainly draft and standard are the formats played. There is some Modern in Seoul, not a huge amount but it seems to be doing ok. There is near zero Legacy.
I have heard that there is more casual places in some of the major centres outside of Seoul such as Daegu and Daejeon.
The big exception to all the above are the US Military bases. Due to a lot of personnel movement the experience is likely to change but there is usually a decent amount of Magic going on.
Osan air base has it's own facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/240677409285730/) as does Yongson in Seoul (https://www.facebook.com/MagictheGatheringYongsanKorea). 


3 comments:

  1. Hi there! Thank you for posting this entry. I left US before DTK release, and I'm itching for some MTG. By the way, how much does a pack of standard boosters cost? How about a booster box?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Packs are pretty much W4,400 ($4.40) each everywhere (prices are fixed by the distributor). They do not discount for buying a box so it's just 36 x W4,400 so around $158. If you do buy a box rather than discount they usually give an extra pack or two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there!
    I am going to stay in Suanbo for 2 months. Is there any place where I can buy some magic stuff? Especially Eternal masters box

    ReplyDelete